Let’s be serious for a second… I love to cook. I came home from the gym and it was raining. Tonight’s dinner was supposed to be pineapple pork Chops with a teryaki glaze… but nope. Mother Nature inspired me to make something far more comforting!
Ok… if you are a person who wants another person to fall in love with you I HIGHLY recommend you make them this dinner. My boyfriend loves me already but I definitely think I earned some MAJOR points with this one.
- Boneless pork chops (make sure you have one per person or eyeball it. The package I got had three Chops but is all of 5 servings)
- 3 cups warm water
- ¼ cup salt
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 cup whole milk (divided)
Instructions for the Pork
- Brine the pork for at least 4 hours. Place ingredients 1-4 in a ziplock bag or a Tupperware with a cover and let it sit in the fridge. I seriously never cook pork without doing this. It’s so important so that you have moist meat that cooks well and is nice and juicy!
- Take the pork out of the brine and dry it with a paper towel. Then rub each side with black pepper. DO NOT ADD MORE SALT! The brine leaves it plenty salty.
- This pork can be made on the grill, because it’s raining I used my grill pan. Use a meat thermometer and take the pork off the heat when it reaches 145 degrees. Make sure the grill is VERY hot! It should cook for about 5 minutes per side varying on size and temperature.
- Place pork on a plate and DO NOT TOUCH FOR AT LEAST FIVE MINUTES. Really, you have to wait. If you cut it too soon all the juices will run out.
Instructions for the Mushroom sauce
Warning: this sauce is amazing on basically anything! I put it on pasta last time I made it and was like I could put this on dirt and it would taste good. So if you want to indulge for pasta go for it! But it’s just as good on protein with a salad.
- Slice onion into half and put it into rounds add to a frying pan with garlic and butter. Add mushrooms on top.
- Place on high heat and cover
- After 5 minutes give it a stir and cover it again
- Add 1/4 cup milk and 3/4 cup shredded cheese Mozzarella or cheddar work great) and cover again
- Once it’s bubbly and incorporated put on top of the pork and try not to cry while you eat it
Healthy simple mashed sweet potato
- Cut potatoes into 1inch pieces and place in water to boil on high
- Once a fork goes into the pieces easily drain the potatoes
- Just use a spoon and stir in the 1/4 cup whole milk. The potatoes will mash naturally as you stir. I don’t even own a potato masher